VPCI 368 is a temporary coating that can provide corrosion protection in unsheltered or harsh, outdoor environmental conditions.
Despite being A solvent based coating the 368 formula can easily be removed with an alkaline based cleaner such as VPCI 414 cleaner degreaser.
Cortec VPCI 368 produces a ‘wax-like’ consistency and offers multi metal corrosion inhibitor protection, for both ferrous and non-ferrous metals. In addition it is possible to match some custom colours if a ‘same colour as the surface’ solution is required.
This product meets the commercial equivalent to MIL-PRF-16173E (Classes 1 & 2).
NATO 6850-66-132-5848, 6099 & NSN 8030-00-062-6950.
Application Guidance for Cortec VPCI 368
Surface Preparation – ensure substrate is grease, oil, dirt and fingerprint free. Also ensure the surface is free from rust inhibitors except Cortec Corporations own compatible product.
As a minimum Valdamark recommends SSPC-SP1 when using over painted surfaces. Where bare metals are concerned, we recommend a NACE ~3/ SSPC-SP6. Consult with technical services or test the systems adhesion prior to a full application works.
VPCI 368 must be agitated and mixed prior to use to obtain a uniform consistency. We recommend using a ‘squirrel cage’ type mixer or a handheld tool, equivalent also. You can also apply the solvent based coating using a spray, brush, roller or dip method.
Typical Equipment Calibrations
Using a conventional spray / HVLP –
• Tip 0.02”-0.11” (0.5-2.8mm) – varies depending on pressures & viscosity readings.
• Air pressure set to between 45 & 55 psi.
• Fluid pressure set to 10 psi.
• Fluid hose should be ⅜” (0.95cm internal dimension) keeping a maximum length of 50 ft (15.2mtr). A ¼” (0.64cm internal dimension) hose can be used but will likely need to be adjusted for proper functioning. Ensure spray gun pot is dual regulated & is kept at the same elevation as the spray gun housing itself.
For Assisted Airless (& Airless) Applications –
• Tip 0.015”-0.035” (0.38-0.89mm) – varies depending on pressure and viscosity readings.
• Pressure set between 1800 & 2500 psi.
• Ensure the hose is ⅜” (0.95cm internal dimension) as a minimum requirement but also a ¼” (0.64cm internal dimension) airless spray gun extension wand may be also be used for convenience. Here a maximum length of 100 ft (30.5 mtr) is suggested.
Post Application & Clean up
You should clean any tools and equipment immediately after use with butyl acetate when the coat is still well. When dry use butyl cellusolve or alternatively MEK for further treatment.
Packaging & Storage
The VPCI 368 formula is available in a variety of deliveries & packaging’s. Either as an CorShield® aerosol spray or in 5-gallon (19 litre) pails & 55 gallon (209 litre) steel drums.